Onyx Power and Gas Consulting continues a weekly series of an overall view of energy, starting from the basics of what energy is to a detailed analysis of energy on a global scale including renewable energy sources. This series of news articles should provide a complete course on energy…enjoy, check out archives and come back each week for additional information on how all sorts of energy sources impact our daily lives.
Where We Get Coal
Coal production is the amount of coal that is mined and sent to market. In 2011, the amount of coal produced at U.S. coal mines was 1,094.3 million short tons. Coal is mined in 25 states. Wyoming mines the most coal, followed by West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and Texas.
Coal is mainly found in three large regions, the Appalachian Coal Region, the Interior Coal Region, and Western Coal Region (includes the Powder River Basin)
Appalachian Coal Region:
- More than one-third of the coal produced in the United States comes from the Appalachian Coal Region.
- West Virginia is the largest coal-producing state in the region, and the second largest coal-producing state in the United States.
- Coal mined in the Appalachian coal region is primarily used for steam generation for electricity, metal production, and for export.
nterior Coal Region:
- Texas is the largest coal producer in the Interior Coal Region, accounting for almost one-third of the region’s coal production.
- This region has mid-sized surface mines.
Western Coal Region:
- Over half of the coal produced in the United States is produced in the Western Coal Region.
- Wyoming is the largest regional coal producer, as well as the largest coal-producing state in the nation. Nine of the top ten producing coal mines in the United States are located in Wyoming.
- This region has many large surface mines.
- Some of the largest coal mines in the world are in the Western Coal Region.
The professional consultants at Onyx Power & Gas Consulting are always ahead of the current issues that may affect energy consumption and pricing. Now is the time to partner with an Onyx professional consultant to discuss energy management and secure energy prices based on today’s stable pricing. Volatility in the energy markets makes it too precarious to take chances. Partner with Onyx Power & Gas in Making Energy Make a Difference!